A little something!

9 Mar 2007

Women’s day

Today it’s my would-be grand-mother-in-law’s birthday. She turned 85. This was the first year I called her up to wish her. She can not hear properly. So after some struggle she recognised me and was so happy that I called her up to wish her.

I and my fiancé speak different languages at our home. (I – Marathi, Him – Konkani with grandmom and English with others). I can not speak in Konkani, ganmom-in-law can speak in Marathi. So as soon as on the phone she came to know that it’s me, she switched on her conversation to Marathi. I felt so happy, so close.

The first thing she asked me in a complaining tone “Tu yet ka ni go aamchyakade mala bhetayla?”. Translation: “Why don’t you come to meet me at our place?” We talked for 15 mins. She was telling about her legs do pain... She doesn’t like the food... Her neighbour’s daughter helps her so much... The way she was talking.. it was like a kid. As well as like a warm caring person. I don’t know why but I just burst in the tears after that conversation. I really don’t know why! She made me feel important. That little conversation brought me so close to her.

Now you must be wondering why I gave the title for the post as ‘Woman’s day’! Even I don’t know why. May be just because it is woman’s day today... Or may be because ‘the lady’ made me feel very special today.

6 Comments:

  • What a great lady she is. Happy bday to her!!

    And Prachi sweetie HAPPY WOMEN'S DAY to ya too HUGGGGGGGGGGGGZ!

    Keshi.

    By Blogger Keshi, at 9/3/07 11:14  

  • Prachi ..Happy Womens day !!!!

    By Blogger Poo, at 9/3/07 12:13  

  • hey thats so sweet rey !!
    a person in that age just needs all the care and some ear to listen to them !!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/3/07 14:41  

  • hey prachi,
    lovely post...we never know when smaller things in life touch us!

    By Blogger Ekta, at 12/3/07 12:22  

  • Happy birthday to her and happy women's day to u :) WE ROCK ;)

    Btw I know about Marathi but Konkani? Never heard of it b4!

    Stay Beautiful...!

    By Blogger Sugarlips, at 14/3/07 02:47  

  • keshi: Thanks dear.

    And wish you the same :). Huggss!

    poo: Wish you the same :)

    saaya: I know.. They are like kids only. But I njoyed with her a lot. I could feel the warmth in her talk.

    ekta: yeah, so true :). Btw, how are you?

    sugerlips: Same to you dear. Yes yes.. WE ROCK :D

    My fiancé is Mangalorean Christian. Mangalore is in the South part of India near Western cost. They speak Konkani language there. It is quite similar to Marathi. But still I can’t understand it completely. Though I can guess a little bit ;)

    By Blogger PrAcHi, at 14/3/07 10:25  

Post a Comment

<< Home